[AG-TECH] 'Bridge' for venue services, etc.?

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 5 12:27:56 CDT 2004

Hey Randy,

I'll address this as two separate points, first multicast and second the
services issue.

With respect to multicast, we're planning on building a pretty simple set of
services that should alleviate this problem two ways; the current bridge
model will remain as a "service provider" model so that institutions with
large bandwidth and computer resources can offer services to those less
fortunate. However, to enable the more down to earth use we want to see,
we'll also be building a set of peer-to-peer services that can provide
dynamic multicast bridging. This will still be constrained by the firewall
solution, discussed next.

The firewall issue has various parts, first, we're continuing to minimize
the number of open connections required to run a full venue client --
perhaps in the future we'll have some sort of connection concentrator and
it'll only be one hole in/out to do the client -- that's not in the near
term, that's a dream/vision :-). On the server side, we'll continue to
reduce the number of holes needed to run services, however, quite honestly
this isn't a top priority for various reasons. First, the feedback we've
received is "as long as we know _what_ we need, we can put holes in",
second, sites providing services are used to this problem, and finally, the
ratio of service providers to users favors us fixing the client situation
first. That being said, someone writing a AG enabled proxy for folks who
don't have holes in place for the two holes that I can think of for the
venue client would be great, I'd love it if someone did that.

The proliferation of services and firewalls and general web services
problems are just that general web services problems. We'll have to wait and
see what the effect is and adapt to the best solution for the users. I don't
see us steering oasis, ibm, or microsoft in terms of what we want. We'll be
responsible to our user community and continue to try and insulate the users
from changes in the underlying infrastructure, while given them more and
more functionality.

I hope that helps,

--Ivan