[AG-TECH] Single System Access Grid Performance

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 04:04:59 CST 2004

I'm just putting together 'full' systems with slightly reduced
capabilities (mainly display space).  They are not proven, but
I've put together

	single box twin 2.8 GHz Xeon systems with 1 Gb memory
		on a Supermicro motherboard
	Videum 4400 video capture (4 x composite)
	Matrix Parhelia 256 Mb (3 x analogue xGA)
	Echo Mia MIDI audio card (stereo, balanced analogfue I/O)
	Gentner/ClearOne XAP400
	conventional cameras, mics, speakers

	software will be AG 2.1.2 under Windows XP Pro

The only problem I've got so far is that the Echo audio cards
totally crash the system ("Hardware Error - consult vendor" - not
even a BSOD).

Will report progress.

We are hoping to get this sort of system going as a standard
offering for new nodes at RAL, albeit with the Matrox QID card
instead of the Parhelia, whenever Matrox pull their finger out and
actually release it - they have told me they're having software
problems.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]