[AG-TECH] re. running the RTP packet reflector

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Jul 15 14:15:05 CDT 2004

In two AGDP documents there are instructions for running the RTP packet
reflector:

http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/howto/config-gentner-ap400/1.5.1/html/x403.html
http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/guide/XAP800/1.01/x68.html

viz.
   1.  To install the RTP packet reflector, save the file associated with
       this link:
       http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/linux-reflector.tar.gz.

   2.  Open a command window on the video machine. Type the following:
       tar  -xzf linux-reflector.tar.gz. This should create a directory
       containing the single executable named reflector. Move the reflector directory to an
       appropriate location.

These instructions do not work on RedHat 9; nor, I presume, Fedora 1 or 2
or other newer Linux distributions. The reflector binary is compiled to
use Tcl 8.0 and Tk 8.0; RedHat 9 and Fedora 1 ship with version 8.3, FC2
ships with 8.4

The reflector binary will work if init.tcl, tk.tcl and other files from
lib/tcl8.0 and lib/tk8.0 are available.

As I happen to have some old libraries online, I was able to do
  ln -s /home2/PII/usr/lib lib
  ./reflector 10000

otherwise it may be necessary to install Tk 8.0 and Tcl 8.0. I tried using
init.tcl from vic-2.9 and also from Tcl 8.3 (changing the version
requirement), but no go.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376