[AG-TECH] Well - multi-node DOES work, but ...

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 18 21:07:30 CDT 2004

You didn't do anything wrong. The assumptions you made we are working
towards enabling, but as you said the current tools are of a certain age,
and the effort to author new tools is something that is difficult to say the
least. The existing tools (while a bit aged) have uncountable hours of use,
introducing new tools *will* cause some unease since they'll introduce new
bugs, etc.

That being said, we're looking at having some things in place in the 2.3
release (scheduled for later this year) that *might* make what you're
describing go away. We have two very specific cases that we need to address,
rat and vic (sending video). We've found solutions but have to put some work
into them to make this work. We're doing some of that work this software
release; you'll notice node service bundles now package their respective
binaries with the package. This (while introducing some difficulties) should
make it so we can more easily bundle and ship node service packages and they
don't rely on anything outside of the package.

This is key work for being able to package up new (ahem, ui-less) node
services, without colliding with existing ones.

Anyhow, long story short, we think as of this release, folks can go about
their merry way creating all sorts of new node services and that the toolkit
should support them being plugged in and tested in a very clean way.

--Ivan