[AG-TECH] compiling environment for AG media tools RAT and VIC?

Andrew Patrick Andrew.Patrick at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 5 11:21:44 CDT 2004

We are starting a project that will involve experimenting with the
source code of RAT and VIC.  Basically, we want to extend the
configuration options that are available in the command line and
start-up scripts to allow more control over the various features when
the tools are launched.  I can tell you more about that later if you are
interested, but my question is about the development environment.

What compiler is required to build RAT and VIC on the Windows and UNIX
platforms?  Is it just the GNU tools for UNIX?  For Windows I understand
that the developers might be using Visual Studio .NET.  Is this
correct?  If so, if we have to go out and buy a new version of this
software, does it matter which of the 3 editions we get? Can we do it
all with the Professional edition, or do we need one of the Enterprise
editions?

Another question concerns the CVS repository.  There appears to be two
locations where the source code for RAT and VIC are stored:

/ag-media/rat or /ag-media/vic
/ag-rat or /ag-vic

Which of these is the current project?

We hope to be able offer anything useful that we come up with back to
the project.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
E-mail: Andrew.Patrick at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
WWW - NRC:  http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
WWW - Personal: http://www.andrewpatrick.ca
Phone: (613) 991-3374   Fax: (613) 952-7151  Cell: (613) 277-9211