[AG-TECH] Weird Network Thing

Michael Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 05:54:40 CDT 2003

We're experiencing a weird problem. Audio in the University of Manchester
Virtual Venue is very lossy - sometimes non-existent. When we switch venues,
the problem goes away.

E.g. Pittsburgh can send and receive video but doesn't show up in rat at all
in the Manchester VV. If we switch to Pittsburgh VV, then everything's fine.

I don't understand what can cause this - surely they're just mcast
addresses, yeah?

Can anyone shed any light?

--Mike

Michael Daw, e-Science Consultant
SVE Group (Supercomputing, Visualization and e-Science)

Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building,
University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK

Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026
Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
E-mail: michael.daw at man.ac.uk

http://www.sve.man.ac.uk/General/Staff/daw