[AG-TECH] Re: AGN PIG echo cancel?

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 19 19:17:22 CDT 2002

On the low end, Windows XP ships with software audio processors to
handle acoustic echo cancellation, noise reduction, and automatic gain
control.  These were implemented to support the IP telephony features of
Windows Messenger.

The limitations of these filters are twofold:

 * Optimized for a 10'x10' room
 * Only works with one microphone

Since these are showstoppers for even small group collaboration and
since my scenarios are in the small group or large group scenarios, I
haven't investigated this technology in an AG context.  However, given
the length of this thread looking for an inexpensive 1-mike solution,
perhaps there's some significant interest here.

When I've looked in the past, these filters are visible to DirectShow
but undocumented.  If someone expresses significant interest in this low
end functionality, I can try to do the digging / persuading to get this
functionality documented.  Success is not guaranteed, sometime code like
this is too coupled to be easily separated from the hosting application,
but I'm willing to try if someone is willing to commit to attempting to
use them inside a DirectShow / DMO environment.

The ConferenceXP code is based on DirectShow and DMOs can be inserted
with a few lines of code.  Since source code for this is available, it
would make a good testbed to try this out.

 - jcb