[AG-TECH] AG/OpenSSH vulnerability

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 7 18:50:29 CST 2002

I don't honestly know; the advisory just talks about openssh:

http://www.ciac.org/ciac/techbull/CIACTech02-001.shtml

However, in reading that document I find this:

>Protecting Systems
>
>To protect yourself from this vulnerability, you must not only install
>SSH-2 protocol daemons but you must also disable the drop back to SSH-1
>protocols. Systems that are currently being compromised are neglecting
>this second step!
>
>[...]
>

>For OpenSSH, the SSH-1 protocols are part of the SSH-2 daemon and cannot
>be removed from the system. However, they can be disabled by setting the
>following tag in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.
>
>   Protocol 2

I have built new RPMs that have a patch to set that tag. I am not sure,
however, if the RPM install will overwrite an existing configuration file.
I encourage people to check /etc/ssh/sshd_config to ensure that the line
'Protocol 2' is in place there.

New RPMs:

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/openssh-3.0.2p1-2.i386.rpm
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/openssh-askpass-3.0.2p1-2.i386.rpm