[AG-TECH] Lurkers in the venues

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Mon Jan 28 13:41:40 CST 2002

All,

As some of you have probably noticed, it's getting harder and harder
to have a semi-confidential meeting in one of the venues (e.g. proposal
related stuff) without having one or two sites sitting in there with
4 videos, audio turned on, sometimes even testing audio in the middle
of a meeting.  Although appeals to the community at large probably help
to reduce this, it ain't working, and my uneducated guess suggests it
will get worse - it seems like more and more, folks are jumping in
who seem unaware of things like this mailing list, the general
AG community, etc.

So, is there any sort of thought/interest in some mechanism that allows
someone who's actually reserved a venue to control access to that venue
during the time reserved?  For example, consider the following:

- Joe/Jane Sixpack makes a venues reservation on behalf of whatever group
  wants to come together and meet

- Joe/Jane Sixpack (you can tell we're still thinking about this Beer
  Symposium :) :)) is automagically emailed some random access code that's
  good during the event

- This access code allows Joe/Jane Sixpack access to some GUI that essentially
  allows for blocking out the "riff raff" :) :) :)

Obviously, it's "do-able" but I don't understand the venues system well enough
understand the feasibility of integration into existing components - probably a
real bear.....

Thanks!!

Don
--
Don Morton                   http://MRoCCS.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana