[AG-TECH] limitations of H.323 gateways

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Fri Dec 20 14:41:27 CST 2002

I see some comments in May 2002 from Ivan Judson etc.
about H.323-AG gatewaying. Some mention the VRVS
reflectors, which do this.

In http://www.vrvs.org/Doc/Hardware/h323_systems.html
some systems are listed. For many (PolyCom FX, Tandberg)
it states that the H.323 client cannot decode VIC intra-frame H.261 codec

In private mail David Collados Polidura writes:
>> FX model can't decode MBone VIC intra-frame H.261 codec

>  This means that if you have an FX model and you join a VRVS Virtual
>Room, you will not be able to see the video sent by other users having
>VIC clients. People using VIC will be able to receive your video, but
>your FX will not be able to decode the video received by VIC clients. You
>will not have problems in sending/receiving video from other H.323
>devices
>in the Virtual Room.

Has anyone experienced this problem with AG ?
Is there any other gateway effort or solution to the
problem originally stated by Mike Daw ?

(I note that the Polycom FX is the newer model; the older MP is OK)

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
security at triumf.ca