[AG-TECH] Number of video devices

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Wed Nov 7 05:31:42 CST 2001

Hi all,

I've noticed VIC supports up to 4 video devices on
Linux. VIC scans from /dev/video0 through /dev/video3
and the names of the device files are hard-coded into
the executable.

I need more device files because I have already over 4
video capture devices and want to use vloopback, which
consume 2 or more devicde files.

  vloopback:
    http://motion.technolust.cx/vloopback/

Of course, we can modify the source code of VIC and
compile it by ourselves. The file which has to be
modified is vic/video/grabber-video4linux.cpp. You will
find the following code:

  /* here you can tune the device names */
  static const char *devlist[] = {
      "/dev/video0", "/dev/video1", "/dev/video2", "/dev/video3",
      NULL
  };

It will be nice that the VIC binary being distributed by
Rober Olson supports over 4 devices:

  http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/new-vv/

Regards,

  Kazuyuki Shudo, Ph.D.		shudo at ni.aist.go.jp, http://www.shudo.net/
  Information Technology Research Institute
  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)