[AG-TECH] Have we looked at vBrick?

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 22 14:20:25 CDT 2001

At 02:11 PM 5/22/2001 -0500, Bill Nickless wrote:
>Tim Ward of NWU mentioned vBrick on another email list.  They make
>self-contained boxes that have Ethernets and NTSC jacks on them, which do
>MPEG-2 encoding and decoding.

Pretty cool. Price??

>Remind me: what's the problem with converting to mpeg-2?  Is it the encode
>problem (expensive) or the fact that mpeg-2 decode is more expensive than
>h.261 decode

Price and availability of robust encoders for one. There are latency issues
(need to be able to tune the encoder to not do the prediction mechansim
that requires a second of buffering to decode) as well; there's not a
widely available MPEG2 over RTP library that I know of as well.

WinTV + H261 might not be the best, but you can't yet beat the price and
reliability.

--bob