[AG-TECH] Hardware news - towards a single machine node

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 31 08:18:47 CST 2001

Hey all,

I'll be working in the next few weeks on a written definition of AG Node
Requirements.  This will mostly be formalizing alot of the information we
already have.  This will shake out what it is we expect the current 4
machine node to do.  Defining what this functionality is, and building the
API's for each component will let us explore this kind of idea without
impacting the current operating schedule of the AG (ie, we're way too
successful to have people randomly breaking nodes for experiments).

One part of this is to define "Core Node Functionality" and "Auxillary Node
Functionality".  This is the line between what a minimum node is (the Core
Functionality) and what a cool far out node might include (microscopes,
milling machines, mood indicators, whatever).  If you have ideas for what
you might augment a node with, please send those to me so I can include them
as examples...

Any thoughts?  Ideas?  Are you going to toss me off the ship yet?

--Ivan

PS -- Oh my, we might actually start version numbering!