[AG-TECH]

Gary Orser orser at nervana.montana.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:46:51 CST 2001

Russ,

That is the mga driver that I was using with Suse 6.4
I think the instablility problems are with Suse or the combo.

Further along in the saga...

This is also a monitor problem.

The G450, with the default 6.2 Redhat install, selects
a really weird video mode.  The flat panel I was using
was displaying "invalid mode", NOT the X server.

Putting on a regular monitor, allowed me to get the
latest iso image on the agnode ftp site, installed.
Although, without X working.  The screen was a mess,
but good enought to get stuff installed.

Kudos to Bob, the kickstart install went great, and fast, < 5min

I installed the 4.0.2 xserver, with the mga driver from
below.  I can get X to work, but only in 640x480 mode.
The X server queries the monitor VESA specs, finds all the
relevent modes, and then decides to disable all but 640x480
because of ostensible refresh problems.

They've changed the XFree config file, so the config file
has to be changed by hand, somewhat in the dark.
(All your favorite X configuration utilities no longer work)
If anyone has a new (4.0.2) XF86config file to got to school on
that would be great.

Otherwise, I'll cruise around and see if there is a solution
to the MGA driver problem.

Cheers, Gary
Gary Orser , (406) 994-6451, orser at nervana.montana.edu
Montana State University