bandwidth (was Re: AG reservation)

Tony Rimovsky tony at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 1 11:22:02 CDT 1999

In my opinion, the 'magic' of bridges should be limited to the greatest
extent possible.  If a site can use native multicast, it should.  If a site
doesn't have native multicast, it should be working on it.  As Bill
mentioned on the moo a couple of weeks ago, for about $3000 in hardware, any
site can be fully multicast capable.

Don't get me wrong.  The bridges have saved the bacon of many demos and will
be of great utility until the wide-area performance/stability issues get
resolved .  However, there are scaling and design issues involved with any
sort of widespread deployment of the bridging, and I do not thing one of the
access-grid goals should be to create a variation of the MBone tunneling
mess.

/tsr