AG Town Hall slides (fwd)

Susanne Lefvert lefvert at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 15 08:33:23 CDT 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:06:32 +1000
From: Markus Buchhorn <Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au>
To: Susanne Lefvert <lefvert at mcs.anl.gov>
Subject: Re: AG Town Hall slides

Hi Susanne

At 09:32 AM 14/07/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>The slides from yesterdays townhall are attached to this email,

Thank you!

>I am in the middle of implementing the new design so comments and
>suggestions are very welcome!

Nothing leaps to my mind at this stage, beyond the flexibilities we discussed yesterday and you already seem to have those in your plan. Besides external services that aren't "AG-aware" but "AG-useful", I'd also add capability-matching that is done by the client, and perhaps done dynamically/real-time (based on information from the venue server perhaps) - so for example the ability to use layered-video-codecs on different multicast addresses to deal with bandwidth constraints. I can imagine defining and advertising my node's ability to send such layered encodings to the venue, but each receiving venue would make it's own decision on what to accept based on local circumstances (which may change over time - my downlink might congest suddenly and temporarily). This doesn't require capability-matching in the literal sense, so I don't know if it impacts what you're trying to do and I'm just talking for the sake of talking :-) or if it's a different aspect of the same problem, i.e. !
wher
e do capability-matching decisions occur, centrally or locally - or both? That in turn probably depends on what the transports and encodings let you do.

Cheers,
    Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Group,      |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 CS&IT |Fx: +61 2 61259805
The Australian National University, Canberra 0200 |Mob: 0417 281429